When we brought FTL beta to our Mixer mobile app last month, we said it was the first of many exciting things in store for Mixer mobile fans this year. Now, we’re thrilled to share the next step for Mixer on mobile – a completely new app for Android and iOS!
As we listened to the community feedback, it was clear that we needed a new foundation to deliver more timely improvements to our fans. The new app helps us accomplish this with an entirely different codebase, built with agility and rapid development in mind. Our beta update today features significant enhancements around the core user experience, content discoverability, app performance, and personalization -- but it’s just the beginning. Look for a faster cadence of updated builds, and we hope to hear from the community directly on what’s important.
Let’s dive in deeper below:
- Easier to find broadcasts that interest you: We’ve completely redesigned the trending section to focus on finding cool broadcasts. Now you’ll see a familiar carousel at the top of the app that cycles through the featured broadcasts on Mixer. Right below, you’ll see top games and trending streams on Mixer. When you tap into a specific game, like Minecraft, you’ll see a beautiful game hub with all the current broadcasts of that game. We’ve also significantly improved the filtering tool, allowing you to specify game broadcasts with Interactive, Co-Streams, or Faster Than Light (FTL) Technology.
- Improved performance: Everything in the app is now faster and more reliable than ever before. From FTL playback to simply navigating throughout the app, we’ve sweated every detail to make sure your experience is smoother. Reconstructed from the ground up, the app's new code base provides better stability and has been optimized for mobile functionality. With these improvements, we're one step closer to a more consistent Mixer experience across all platforms.
- Personalization: The new Mixer app has a completely refreshed user interface. With it, we’ve added a Following section so you can see what’s happening with the broadcasters you care about, as well as recommended streamers to check out. In the Profile section, you can manage your Mixer settings and see your channel’s information (followers, VODs, broadcasts).
A fresh coat of paint for the features you love: We took our time to ensure that we didn’t lose a feature you love while we rebuilt your Mixer app. Almost all of the top features that are available in the previous Mixer app are now ready for you to test with a refreshed experience in this beta. We couldn’t fit every feature into this initial beta, but we hope to finish the features rapidly with your bug submissions and feedback in the coming weeks. Here is a list of everything you’ll find in the release today and some features that will be coming soon:
- Top level home carousel shared with Mixer.com with always playing previews
- Games now on your home page instead of in a filter tab
- Search with search history
- Following with LIVE streams ordered first
- Recommended streams bubbled up to the top
- Iconography to visually indicate streams with Interactive, Co-streaming and FTL
- An improved Profile page with links to your channel, your level and your sparks
- Improved filtering for Trending broadcasts
- Chat with Viewer list, whispers, and basic mod features
- And coming soon:
- Reliable push notifications for Android and iOS
- Further chat parity features with Mixer.com
- Co-streaming playback experience improvements
How to get the new Mixer beta app.
- Android: Visit the Mixer app here to sign up for the "beta"
- iOS: We have a limited number of spots available. Sign up for an invite here!
We’re committed to building an awesome mobile experience for our fans. Have any feedback or suggestions you think we need to hear? Share through the Feedback Site or via @WatchMixer on Twitter – and most of all – keep the comments coming!